Burns Engineering provides professional engineering design and project management services for transportation, facilities, and infrastructure projects. We help our clients attain their strategic goals and initiatives through successful large-scale infrastructure projects. Burns' full-service capabilities include mechanical, electrical, civil, structural, transportation, and energy consulting engineering.
Recently voted a Top Workplace by Philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm, and has been named an MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients' successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to "write their own story" with us.
Railroad & Transit Team
Burns provides design and construction solutions to help maintain, improve, and expand the nation's railroad and transit infrastructure. We have designed the implementation of critical programs across the country, and support the renewed emphasis on a public transit-oriented lifestyle.
Burns is currently seeking a licensed Electrical Engineering Associate to join our Railroad & Transit team in Washington, D.C.
Electrical Engineering Associate is responsible for preparation of designs, project layouts and contract documents in accordance with company design standards and client requirements. According to project size, may be responsible for the project team in the production of projects in time, within budget, and of high technical quality by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs and specifies equipment, facilities, components, and systems for the railroad and transit, and aviation and general infrastructure industries.
- Participates in the execution of specific engineering studies, design analyses and cost estimates.
- Participates in client meetings and performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and equipment suppliers under the direction of the senior technical staff.
- Capability to design drawing, write and review specifcations, and develop calculation reports.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
- Utilizes and assists less experienced staff in understanding company technical policies and procedures during the execution of projects for clients.
- Participates in the execution of the design process on assigned projects and requests assistance from senior technical staff when needed.
- Assists the design team in the coordination of project design with other disciplines.
- Participates in the review of shop drawings, product data, RFI, and records changes.
- Coordinates design requirements with outside consultants and contractors as necessary.
- Performs activities to ensure that construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Responsible for knowledge of company technical policies and procedures.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's (B.S.) Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering from four-year college or university from an accredited program
- At least 2-3 years of related experience
- Preference for EIT
- Technical expertise with power systems and utility coordination.
- A demonstrated ability to evaluate the technical requirements of scope of work, specifications, design criteria, directive drawings, standard drawings,
- A demonstrated ability to administer all project general and technical data and reports and to communicate verbally and in writing to all parties involved.